Friday, January 3, 2014

Serendipity

My word for 2014 is Serendipity

No, I don't mean the movie with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale (although it's a great movie) I'm talking about the definition of the word, "luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for".
 I am habitually guilty of over-planning and setting my hopes to high. I've found that this often leads to disappointment and a big mess to clean up afterwards. Looking back over the past couple of years that I have been privileged to be a mother, I realize that the best moments have been spontaneous and unplanned. The fondest memories in my heart are rocking my babies to sleep on stormy nights, or playing cars in our pajamas on the bedroom floor. Surprisingly it's not the birthday parties that I planned months in advance or even the family trips that come at such high expense and frustration. 

It's the unexpected moments, the little serendipities that make life so memorable and sweet. 

We've all seen (and perhaps attempted) the fun crafts and kid experiments that litter the pages of Pinterest. All you need is a can of shaving cream, pipe cleaners, glitter, food coloring, and glow sticks. One hour of set up, five minutes of play time and  an entire afternoon of cleaning up. In my experience with these sort of activities, one of the following will inevitably happen:
    1. The kids just want to eat all the craft supplies
2. They refuse to do the activity correctly
3. They have no interest in doing said activity
During one particular failure of a Pinterest calamity, I was cleaning up the mess in the sink and sulking. The boys, who had no interest what-so-ever in the planned activity were instantly interested in playing in the sink full of cups and sudsy water. The three of us played for nearly an hour pouring water from cup to cup and blowing the suds in the air. 
We giggled and splashed and my disappointment was entirely forgotten.

So this year, I plan to let go of my over-planning, over-analyzing and high expectations and just let the sweet moments happen.. If my kids want to stop at the park on the way home from the grocery store, we will; the ice cream won't melt in 15 minutes. If we are a few minutes late to a party because the boys want to splash in the puddles in the driveway, then so be it. Maybe this years birthday parties will just be cake and ice cream on the back porch by candlelight. I'm going to relax, enjoy and soak it all up.

I will welcome life's little seredipities with open arms.

Bring 'em on 2014, we are ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment